Monday, December 1, 2008

Why Save General Motors?

First of all I'll tell you "I'm" a product of "General Motors". When I was born my parent's were both employed by the auto maker. My father working at "Buick" and my mother was working for "AC Spark Plugs". My mother soon quiting to start her own business. If not for working at "GM" there would have been NO monies for a business!

So my father worked for the great auto maker and when I grew up I wanted to work for them too. Where else could I go to work and be taken care of for the rest of my life. "GM" took care of my family for life. I did go to work for them and that is where I met my husband. He happened to be my boss. Sorry, no details.

That is my history with "General Motors". I have always felt very loyal to them, they still pay all of our bills. Driving a foreign car is out of the question for as long as I live. So I guess I have to tell you that it hurts me when I hear this great company is in trouble, and asking the government for help, just to get the door slammed in their faces.

I know I can only speak for myself, but these people in congress and everyone else that has an opinion, do they know what will happen if this great company goes down? It will not only unemployed hundreds of thousands employed at their plants, but you will see a domino effect shutting many, many companies down that supply "GM" with everything they use to make automobiles and trucks. It is enough to shut this whole country down.

I have heard people that "Think" they know something about this subject but have no idea what the hell they are talking about. The money the company wants is not for paying bonuses of the cooperate people, it's not for paying retirees benefits. My husband was salary and he is losing his health benefits. These monies are for keeping this great company afloat. They are not asking for a freebie, the company will pay back this money. Didn't the government help out the airline industry, yes they did.

I know this is the governments way of trying to break up the unions. They think "GM" pay their employee's to much money. Why is this any business of the government? You might say it's there business if "GM"is asking for money, I think not because "GM" like I said, has said they will pay this money back. The government should have no say about wages in any business. All though they keep raising their own pay, that will never stop.

No comments: